Emerging Sport Guidelines
An emerging sport will be defined as a NCAA sanctioned sport that is sponsored at the varsity level by a minimum of four member institutions.
- To be designated as an emerging sport, an official letter of request must be submitted to the Commissioner by all of the member institutions sponsoring that sport.
- Once a sport is designated as an emerging sport, a Coaches Committee will be established for that sport.
- The conference will allow the sport to have one post-season game that will be designated as the conference championship in that sport (Note: No regular season champion).
- The student-athletes participating at a member institution in an emerging sport will be eligible for Player of the Week awards.
- Each emerging sport will be allowed to name one All-Conference Team along with one Player, Freshman, & Coach of the Year post-season awards.
- Each emerging sport will be allowed to name one All-Tournament Most Valuable Player following the tournament championship game (9/20/10).
- Sports under the designation of emerging sports will not win points toward the Hawn Cup.
- The emerging sport status will be reevaluated after a period not to exceed five years. (At any time 50% of the members sponsor the sport it becomes eligible for conference sport status).