Required Off Season Meeting/Call Date: Tues. 9/18/18 11:30am
Required Preseason Conference Call Date: Tues. 1/17/19 11:00am
Required Conference call to discuss All-Conf nominess: 9:30AM Mon. April 22
Required Conference call to VOTE ON All-Conf: 10:30am Tues. April 23
Link to: Coaches Group Procedures and Requirements
Link to: Sport Chair Report Form
Committee Chairperson: Chris Wiley, Limestone College
Athletic Director Liaison: Todd Wilkinson, Barton College
2019 Championship Dates:
Wednesday, April 24 (play-in games No. 5vs8 @ 2PM & No. 6vs7 7PM); then with games starting Thursday-Sunday as regular/past 6-team double elimination tourney (rain date is Monday April 29). Required coaches call for All-conference awards. All-Conference award ceremony between 2nd & 3rd games on Thursday (2019 CHANGE ONLY: There will NOT be a BBQ dinner at the ballpark for teams that evening following 2nd game (aproximately 6PM), t-shirts will not be provided to particpating student-athletes from The City of Burlington, and Box meals will NOT be provided for teams playing in 3rd Thursday evening game after the contest.)
Hosted by: Due to renovations of the Burlington Ball Park: North Greenville will host the 2019 Baseball tournament. Burlington Recreation & Parks at Burlington Athletic Stadium, Burlington, NC (Three year term for 2019, 2020, 2021 -renewed 2/13/18) -Note: Burlington will pick back-up for the 2020 season through 2021.
(Note: When there is a pre-determined championship site, the game times should be pre-determined based on seed, not on the host, regardless of whether the championship is being played at a neutral or campus site.)
2019 Conference Important Dates:
Men's Baseball Nominations Due: 12noon, Mon. April 15.
Coaches Required Conference call to discuss nominess: 9:30AM Mon. April 22
Coaches Required Conference call to VOTE ON CONF CALL: 10:30am Tues. April 23
2019-21 Championships: Burlington Recreation & Parks at Burlington Athletic Stadium, Burlington, NC (*2019=NGU)
Final date of league regular season play: Saturday April 20
(Per AD Policy: All conference games -including any rescheduled games- must be completed by the Monday prior to that sport's conference championship.)
League Created Schedules:
(Note: Schedules can be changed with AD approval from both institutions)
2019 & 2020 Approved BB Schedule -with Chowan (2/13/18)
2018 ONLY Approved BB Schedule (10/7/16)
2014-2017 Baseball Schedules -approved through 2019 (10/20/15)
2014 Baseball Schedule (8/22/12)
2013 Baseball Schedules (11/10/11)
(NOTE: Emmanuel no longer is required NOT to play during Easter weekend. Since Belmont Abbey still has that institutional requirement, moving forward for new schedules starting the 2021 season, league schools that are < 200 miles away, will rotate annually to be scheduled against Belmont Abbey each year during that weekend (which in turn per policy would have to be rescheduled to a different weekend/weekday).
Method: Eight teams qualify (see below) with 5,6,7,8 seeded teams "playing-in" into a six team double elimination tournament at a site determined by bid. Three umpires will be used for all tournament games. NCAA official rulebook will govern all tournament games. In the event of a weather shortened tournament the highest seeded team remaining in the tournament becomes the conference champion receiving the automatic NCAA bid with the exception that if the tournament ends with one team having a record of 3 wins and 0 losses that team is declared champion and receives the automatic bid. When the winning team is not eligible for automatic qualification the runner up team receives the automatic qualification (5/22/13). There should not be a change in the sequence of games during the tournament, but game times can be changed by the tournament director in consultation with the league office.
For 2019, ADs approved that an 8 team format be used. The format includes having the No. 5 vs. No. 8 and No. 6 vs. 7 in a one game playoff on day one of the tournament (Wed), with the two winners moving into the 6 team double elimination championship format starting Thursday. The first day of playoff games must be completed by Wednesday, so that Thursday championship play starts as scheduled. If weather prevents completion of either of the play-in games on Wednesday, the higher seeds would advance to start Thursdays scheduled play (8/7/18).
Seeding/Ties: Tournament seeding will based on overall conference winning percentage. Ties will be broken in the following manner: 1) Head to head results during the regular season for a two way tie; 2) Records against all opponents involved in the tie; 3) record against opponents not involved in the tie working down from #1; 4) random selection by Commissioner.
Regular Season Play: (5/12)
Link to: Chart for determining Baseball Play & Weather Options Link (since 2010)
- A conference generated 3 game series schedule includes games to be played as a single (Friday @ 2:30 PM) contest and a Saturday doubleheader starting @ noon. With this schedule format and with the approval of both member ADs Sunday serves as the make up date for cancelled and incomplete games with the exception that Belmont Abbey, Erskine and North Greenville will not use Sunday.
- With approval of both member athletics directors the games may be changed to a Saturday - Sunday format specified as a Saturday doubleheader starting at noon and a single game on Sunday starting at 1:00 PM. With this scheduling format Monday is the make up date for cancelled and incomplete games but requires approval of both Athletic Directors.
- No games may be scheduled or made up Easter Sunday, but with approval of both member ADs the Monday after Easter may be used for making up previous Friday or Saturday postponements.
- The conference office and supervisor of baseball umpires are to be notified immediately of any schedule changes.
- No more than two games may be started or completed on any one date.
- Three single games may not be scheduled.
- A second Saturday game of 8.5 or more innings will require a 7 inning Sunday game.
- Changes in game times and locations may be made with the approval of both member athletics directors.
- In the event of cancelled games beyond the specified rain date, tournament seedings will be based on won-loss percentages (note that members may elect to reschedule but results are not included in conference standings).
- With the exception of games at off campus rented facilities Conference Carolinas students will be admitted free on presentation of valid member card.
- Payment to the supervisor of baseball umpires (Gerald Trexler) is required by January 15 of each year.
- League members will not provide game tapes or verbal scouting reports to non-conference opponents (1/20/15).
- Per the League/Coaches Ball Contract: Wilson shall be listed as the "Official Ball of Conference Carolinas" and shall be used exclusively by all member institutions in all conference play.
Multiple Sport Policies: Link to League Mutiple Sport Policy
Media Policy Regarding Officials: Link to Conference Media Policy
Delay of Game Policy: Link to: Delayed Game Conference Policy
Conference Pre-Game Policy: Link to: Baseball Pre-game Policy (Batting Practice, etc.)
Baseball Code of Conduct: Link to: Baseball Code of Conduct
Line-Up Submission Policy: Link to Line-Up Submission Policy
Visiting Team Expectations: Link to Visiting Team Expectations
Admissions Policy: Any sport in which there is an admissions charge, Conference Carolinas students with valid ID to be admitted free (except rented facilities off campus). Passed 8-11-04.
Ejection Policy: When a player or team party member is ejected both the team's coach and (if a league opponent) the opposing coach are to notify their Athletic Director upon completion of the contest. The Athletic Director will immediately notify the conference office and subsequently complete and submit to the league office the Ejection Report Form found on the web. The conference office will notify each member president immediately when notified of an ejection.
A coach ejected for an "unsporting act" will be cautioned by the institution’s Athletic Director or immediate superior in a form provided by the conference. Copies of cautions and suspensions will be provided to the institution’s President, FAR, the Supervisor of Officials and the Commissioner. A second ejection in the same year will, minimally, carry a next game suspension. A third ejection in the same year will, minimally, carry a next two games suspension. End of year suspensions will be carried forward to the next year.
Ejected coaches must leave sight of the playing field/floor when ejected. If the ejected coach does not comply in a timely manner, the game is forfeited.
Halted Game Policy: Definition - A halted baseball games occurs when the umpire terminates play by calling " Game " and the contest is either not a regulation game by NCAA rules or is a tie defined by NCAA rules.
Philosophical basis - To complete as many league games as possible within the weekend format and play no more than 2 games any individual day.
1) The decision to call " Game " is the responsibility of game umpires, using consultation at the umpire's discretion.
2) A conference game is deemed completed by NCAA rules when:
A) After 4 1/2 innings the home team is leading.
B) After 5 equal innings the visiting team is leading.
3) Halted games are to resumed, at the halted point (see NCAA rules 5-8-b), prior to the next contest between opponents. A conference game is deemed halted when the non-completed or tied contest:
A) The second game of a first day doubleheader.
B) The first or second game of three single date contests.
4) A conference halted or tied game will be deemed not played for league purposes and will not be used in the conference standings when:
A) It is the non-completed or tied first game of a series scheduled to include a doubleheader.
B) It is part of the last day of the series schedule (both first and second games of a doubleheader) and is a non-completed or tied game.
5) A conference game deemed not played for league purposes and not to be used in the conference standings may, at the contestants discretion, be completed with the following considerations:
A) Both members agree to complete the contests, from the halted point, using NCAA and conference rules.
B) It is suggested that this decision be decided by members prior to the series.
C) The series umpiring assignment and fees are fulfilled and completion of the contest(s) will require additional arrangements by the competing institutions.
All conference team: Each team through their SID may nominate and send supporting statistics for players, pitchers, Player of the Year, & True Freshmen of the Year for all-conference consideration. All nominations received by the Service Bureau prior to the stated deadline will be compiled and returned to league SIDs for distribution to baseball coaches. Two teams mirroring the all-region team (16 on each team: 1b, 2b, 3b, SS, C, OF, OF, OF, OF, DH, P, P, P, P, RP, U) will be selected prior to the conference tournament. Players can ONLY be nominated for one position overall. The baseball All-Conf. Team will be selected by nominations & ballots via online submission to league office. Upon compilation and distribution of nomination information, each team will vote for players in rank order and may not vote for their own players. The position player (no pitchers) on the initial second team receiving the highest vote total becomes the 1st Team Utility position. The position player (no pitchers) receiving the highest vote total and not on the initial second team becomes the 2nd Team Utility position.
All sport coaches that nominate & vote All-Conference Teams via email procedure through the league office (as opposed to meeting in person), will be required to attend a conference call following nominations but prior to voting ballots. Ballots are required to be completed within 24 hours of coaches conference call.
Player and Pitcher of the Year: Each league member will vote for three players & three pitchers excluding their own, in rank order. Ballots will be sent to and received from SIDs and the winners will be named Player of the Year & Pitcher of the Year. Ties will be broken by greatest number of 1) 1st place votes, 2) 2nd place votes, 3) 3rd place votes.
Coach of the Year: Each member will vote for three coaches excluding their own, in rank order. Ballots will be sent to and received from SIDs and the winner will be named Coach of the Year (all coaches are automatically nominated). Ties will be broken by greatest number of 1) 1st place votes, 2) 2nd place votes, 3) 3rd place votes.
Freshman of the Year: The top freshman vote-getter of the members using the same procedure and time frame as Player of the Year.
FOTY Qualifications: (approved 10/5/18 to start 1/1/19)
(Fall Sports for 2018 will continue to follow the past policy of "True Freshmen" Only)
- Student-athlete should qualify only if this is the first collegiate institution they have attended.
- It is the student-athletes first year of competition. (Academic sophmores/redshirt freshmen are eligible, as long as took redshirt at same member school.)
- The student-athlete is not applicable for any transfer exceptions. (Exp. Student transfers from a school but didn't play a sport, still not eligible for award.)
- Nominators have the responsibility to make sure all qualifications are met.
All Tournament: Coaches will select the all tournament team as follows: 1st place-MVP + 4 All Tournament, 2nd Place- 3 All Tournament, 3rd Place - 1 All Tournament & 4th Place - 1 All Tournament.
Student Sportsmanship Pledge Form & Link (Reminder to be signed by each student athlete during preseason and filed in schools athletic department)